Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2014

Adventures in the Kitchen: Intro to my Kitchen

I have always loved cooking. When I was little, I found an basic pound cake recipe in one of my mothers cookbooks and after making it a couple times, decided that I could make it better. I tweaked the recipe to make a vanilla pound cake, a rainbow pound cake and a cinnamon pound cake.

My pride and joy :)
I took chef's classes in high school and loved every minute of it. I was even in the FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) and competed in cake decorating and table setting (winning bronze and gold respectively).  In those classes, I first worked with a KitchenAid Mixer and fell in love. I kept telling my mother I wanted one and she told me when I got my first place she would buy me one. It took 8 years for that to finally become a reality.

The kitchen is just a happy place to be in my opinion and creating something delicious out of a bunch of  random ingredients is quite a fun science (and the closest I will get to being good at a real science)

So, why post about my little self's cooking past? Well, I figure that if I want you to read and take my cooking and ideas seriously, you should know my background and where I come from. I am no chef school graduate nor a food critic, I just enjoy cooking and want to share what I learn along the way.

Some facts about my kitchen:


  • I like to try to cook healthy, but there will be no guarantee that every recipe that I make will be. 
  • Desserts can be big in this house (especially when Mike is visiting), plus I just love to bake!
  • I have been working towards trying to use organic products and products without MSGs, however,
  • I am a poor teacher that lives on my own and organic can be expensive! I will be specific in my ingredients what I am using
  • Also on the poor teacher route, there are few name brands or products that I am 100% loyal to (I tend to go store brand or what is on sale), I will label those as I come across them
  • I love kitchen gadgets! If you know any good ones, comment away!
  • Recipes that I make come from everywhere; cookbooks, Pinterest, friends and just the internet. 
I hope you enjoy the recipes that I will soon be posting and if you have any suggestions of things you would like to see please send me an email at jadisney12@gmail.com or leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment